Just because you made a financial mistake in the past doesn’t mean you have to pay for it forever. That is of course as long as you’ve taken care of the issue and made sure that it’s showing up in your credit history correctly. By being proactive, you can ensure that those financial ghosts of the past won’t haunt you.
- Review your credit report to make sure everything is accurate. For instance, if you paid a debt/collection debt in full, be sure it’s reflected accurately on your report. Pull it from all 3 credit bureaus for free at AnnualCreditReport.com.
- Avoid debt collection scams. Collection debt is stressful enough, but if you fall victim to a scam it really can get worse. So click on the link to read the post about avoiding that type of scam.
- Rethink student loan repayment. Determine if you’re in the right repayment plan and if you are able to pay off your debt faster – and maybe even save money in interest. For one-on-one help with this, call LSS Financial Counseling for your free student loan counseling session at 888.577.2227.
- Take a careful look at credit card debt and your repayment plan. If you have credit card balances and you’re making monthly payments, make sure you’re not going to pay more than you need to. Check into a Debt Management Plan that will help you pay off your cards faster…and even save you money. Get started online with your free session to see what a DMP would look like for you.
- Beware of debt zombies. Do what you can to avoid accruing more debt because it can sneak up on you and build up to something unmanageable. Not to mention unpaid debt can turn into a financial and credit nightmare.
LSS Financial Counseling equips and empowers people to conquer their debt, build savings, and achieve financial stability. Visit our website for information on how we can help you reach your financial goals.